Welcome to the Aldeburgh Museum Website



The Aldeburgh Museum is housed in one of the most important timber-framed public buildings in England. Dating from the first half of the 16th Century it originally contained six small shops on the ground floor and a spacious meeting chamber on the first floor. The Town Council still meets here today and it provides an attractive display area for the Museum.

Visit the Museum to learn about life in Aldeburgh through the ages

  • Early settlers – Romans and Anglo-Saxons
  • Shipbuilding, trade and fishing
  • Aldeburgh witches
  • Regency resort
  • Slaughden and the Martello Tower
  • and much more

Aldeburgh Museum will re-open on 30th March 2018

Opening Hours

April, May, September and October: daily 1430-1700

June, July and August: daily 1200-1700

Museum Accessibility

We want to make the museum as accessible as possible, but The Moot Hall is a 16th century Grade 1 listed building, and because of this we cannot modify it to better accommodate disabled members of the public.    The main entrance is up the outside staircase, which is quite steep, and the downstairs entrance (Town Council’s) is narrow and not suitable for wheelchairs.

Please note – there are no toilets in the museum, but public toilets are available close by.