Before 1500 Aldeburgh Church consisted of just the tower and nave. Now the North and South chapels were added and a little later these were extended to form aisles. 1524 saw the roof of the nave and the tower arch raised, then in 1545 the chancel was added. The Elizabethan church would have looked much as it does today, but the churchyard extended to the middle of the present road until 1824.
The Church was used for many secular purposes. Ship auctions were regularly held in the nave. London theatre companies toured the provinces when the play houses were closed in the capital and several came to Aldeburgh Church. It is possible (although there is no proof) that Shakespeare played here.