(e) Today

By 1959 the number of calls for a lifeboat were reducing and Number 2 Station was closed. Twenty years later, however, the first inflatable in-shore lifeboat arrived on station. With a speed in excess of 20 knots and usually a two man crew, these easily-launched little craft are ideal for incidents involving body boarders, bathers, small yachts etc., all cases where speed is essential.

D-376 on a training run.

Meanwhile the Abdy Beauclerk was followed by the Alfred and Patience Gottwald, the Charles Dibdin (the first to be equipped with radar), the James Cable, and now the Freddie Cooper: all-weather boats, each fitted with the latest aids to navigation.

When the Alfred and Patience Gottwald came on station in 1959 it was still considered advisable that she have a small mizzen sail.

No sail was provided for the Charles Dibdin.

Named for Aldeburgh's most famous coxswain, the James Cable was on station from 1982 until 1993.

Today's lifeboat, the Freddie Cooper.

For the first time since 1870 the Aldeburgh lifeboat has the shelter of her own Penza boathouse and a tractor has taken over from manpower to launch the boat.