The Aldeburgh Branch
An elegant carriage meets the train
For just over a hundred years Aldeburgh was the terminus of an 8-mile single-line branch railway from Saxmundham on the East Suffolk line. The section from Saxmundham to Leiston was opened in 1859, largely to serve Garrett’s Engineering Works; after pressure from the inhabitants it was extended to Aldeburgh in 1860.
Aldeburgh station c1919. Visitors could now travel in comfort to the fast-developing sea side resort and fish was speedily carried to the hungry markets in London.
The station gardens won many awards and were lovingly tended by Billy Botterill from 1922 until closure.
Beween 1906 and 1939 the Aldeburgh branch enjoyed the luxury of through coaches to and from Liverpool Street. When Billy startedwork the return fare to London was 6s 6d. (Less than 35p today.)
The last train ran on the 10 September 1966. The station buildings were demolished in 1975 and the site cleared for housing.